What will you do?
- complete an introduction to Citizens Advice
- promote the local Citizens Advice service so that the people understand what Citizens Advice does and how they can get advice, and how they could become a volunteer
- create leaflets and posters to promote the service, or use existing materials
- use social media, for example, Facebook and Twitter to raise the profile of the local Citizens Advice
- help to share what local Citizens Advice does with your local press or radio station
- write information for the local Citizens Advice website or newsletter
- talk to clients or volunteers about their experiences
- help arrange a talk or event to promote the local Citizens Advice to others
What’s in it for you?
- make a real difference to people’s lives
- learn about a range of issues that affect our clients such as benefits, debt, employment and housing.
- build on valuable skills such as communication, listening, marketing and advertising
- increase your employability
- work with a range of different people, independently and in a team.
- have a positive impact in your community.
And we’ll reimburse expenses too.
What do you need to have?
You don’t need specific qualifications or skills but you’ll need to:
- be friendly and approachable
- be non-judgmental and respect views, values and cultures that are different to your own
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- have good IT skills
- be willing to learn about and follow the Citizens Advice aims, principles and policies, including confidentiality and data protection
- be willing to undertake training in your role
How much time do you need to give?
We can be flexible about the time spent and how often you volunteer so come and talk to us.
Our volunteers come from a range of backgrounds and we particularly welcome applications from people with physical or mental health conditions, and people from Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities.
If you are interested in becoming a media volunteer and would like to discuss flexibility around location, time, ‘what you will do’ and how we can support you please contact us.