You could do this role if you are available to volunteer for 6 hours per week for at least 6 months, would suit someone on work experience or placements.
The role includes training and could be the first step towards becoming a Citizens Advice Generalist Adviser or Money Adviser.
Purpose of the role
- To provide information, assistance and guidance to members of the public to help them engage with the most appropriate service to solve their issue.
- To provide information about Citizens Advice Portsmouth and other advice services to clients from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures.
- To promote the use of kiosks/PC's and the role of information in resolving problems.
Main duties and responsibilities may include:
- Explaining the Generalist Information Service to members of the public.
- Supporting clients with using self-help services including kiosks, PC's and tablets.
- Helping clients to identify the correct leaflet, self-help resource or service provider to best addess their issue.
- Identifying when clients need to be referred to other services for more help.
- Signposting clients appropriately to suit their needs following agreed protocols.
- Recording client numbers and basic issues.
Personal skills and qualities that an Information Assistant need:
- A commitment to the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service.
- Ability to offer help appropriately and sensitively in a public environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Being open and approachable - demonstrating empathy with clients.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to quickly sift through information and extract what is relevant.
- Respect for the views, values and cultures that are different to their own.
- An understanding of why confidentiality is important.
- Competence in using IT systems to complete forms and access information.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to recognise the limits and boundaries of the role.