We all owe money to various people all the time: bills are a fact of life. But, from time to time, you may find yourself overwhelmed by your debts, and can't see a way of paying them all. Help is available to find a way of dealing with them.
At Citizens Advice Portsmouth we have a Debt Advice Centre where we can advise you on all aspects of debt and the courses of action open to you. We can help with preparing a budget statement and negotiation with creditors. If you would like us to help you in this way you can chat with one of our debt advisors - by clicking on the 'live chat' button on the left of the screen or visit our Debt Advice Centre and meet with an advisor.
We also operate various outreaches to assist clients with a wide range of debt issues and have specialist debt advisers at the following locations:
- HMS Nelson (every Wednesday on a fortnightly basis, by appointments only)
- Citizens Advice Fareham (fortnightly on Monday by appointments only)
- Citizens Advice Gosport (fortnightly on Tuesday by appointments only)
- The EC Roberts Centre (fortnightly Tuesday by appointments only)
- Citizens Advice Havant (every Thursday by appointments only)
- County Court (every Wednesday & Friday mornings, preference will be given to those with court hearings)
- Ark Royal House (Mondays 9am - 7pm, Tuesdays to Thursdays from 9am - 4pm & Fridays from 9am to 3pm)
- Solent Mind (every Monday by appointments only)
- Portsmouth Jobcentre (every Thursday by appointments only)
- Cosham Jobcentre (fortnightly on Tuesdays by appointments only)
We press for improvements in how people in debt are treated by creditors or the law by using our knowledge of how people are affected by current rules.
For self help in dealing with debt problems, there is information and an online budgeting tool on the national Citizens Advice Adviceguide website at www.adviceguide.org.uk.
Alternatively, there is a booklet 'Dealing with your debts' written by the Money Advice Trust. Click here to download a copy from their website or call into the Debt Advice Centre for a paper copy.
Other contacts if you have personal debts are:
National Debt Line 0808 808 4000
StepChange Debt Help Charity 0800 138 1111
Payplan 0800 280 2816
PCC Housing Money Advice 023 9284 1538 (for City Council tenants and leaseholders only)
or if you have business debts:
Business Debt Line 0800 197 6026