Consumer Advice

You are entitled to complain about any goods that are damaged, faulty or unsafe. You may also complain if you feel that the goods are not appropriate for the purpose for which you bought them, or that they do not fit the description given. 

When you buy something, you and the seller make a contract. This contract is between you and the seller, not between you and the manufacturer.

If you have a valid complaint, you have a right to have the problem sorted out. It may take some effort on your part, but keep trying. In some cases it may be necessary to go to court to get the matter settled.

This is not as difficult as it sounds and just taking some action could be enough to resolve matters.

If you are unsure about your consumer rights, you can call the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm.  Calls to 034 numbers on mobile phones cost no more than calls to geographic (01 or 02) numbers.

For self help in dealing with problems with goods and services, visit the consumer section on the national Citizens Advice Adviceguide website at

What customers say

“I was very low when I came to the CAB, with debts and problems everywhere. I am now a lot happier, as I pay one sum of money each month and get left alone by creditors”.